What is a dog breeder??
Here are some of the job descriptions of a responsible, reputable, knowledgeable breeder:
1. We are vets - we are actively involved in making sure that our dogs and puppies are in the best of health, and we watch and study our babies & adults to ensure that they are free of health issues. (NOTE: We rely on our vet's expertise to guide us and help us, and we greatly respect their knowledge)
2. We are trainers - we are always working with our dogs and puppies, teaching them proper behavior and manners as much as possible.
3. We are the clean-up crew - 'nuff said. :)
4. We are laundry attendants - we keep up with the cleaning of all beds and blankets.
5. We are groomers - we keep our dogs and puppies groomed usually every 2-4 weeks.
6. We are photographers - we spent hours upon hours with camera in hand, ready to catch the perfect picture of our puppies.
7. We are website designers - we keep our website updated on a daily basis, and we are constantly making improvements.
8. We are secretaries - we maintain all our paperwork and record-keeping, and we answer the many phone calls and emails we receive every day.
9. We are marketing agents - from our Belles Beautiful Butterflys brochure and business cards to our Puppy Hand-outs, we do all we can to provide helpful information for new puppy owners.
10. We are salespeople - we assist new puppy owners and help them find the perfect companion for their lifestyle. We help them decide what gender, size, etc is going to suit them the best, and we provide as much information about every puppy as we can.
11. We are purchasing agents- we constantly purchase new supplies, grooming equipment, beds, bowls, food, etc. The list goes on and on!
12. We are puppy players - this one goes without saying!! :) sometimes it's a wonder we get any work done...
There are many more descriptions that I could list, but I think this is a good start. These are all the things that we as breeders do on a daily basis. At Belles Beautiful Butterflys, we take our job very seriously and this is certainly not a job for the faint of heart. It takes much time, energy, patience, wisdom, and determination, but we are able to do it all with joy because we wholeheartedly LOVE what we do!! Seeing our beautiful puppies go to wonderful forever homes is so very exciting, and seeing the joy on a child's face when they get their first puppy is reward enough for us!